Tuesday, October 7, 2008

Getting paid to fly!

FINALLY, the time has come...I am getting paid to fly!!! It seems it has taken forever to get to this point. I have started working for a flight school that primarily has foreign students. My first day I was assigned 3 student, a couple days later I picked up a forth. All of them have been flying for a while. They are all Private pilot students. I have not yet had a new 0 time student. I think taking on these students who have been flying already has been more of a challenge. There is a certain amount of time that it takes to get to know the student, learn where their book knowledge is and what their flying abilities are. They are an interesting mix. One is a young guy from Saudi Arabia, another is a girl from India, and then I have two guys from Mexico.
We have had only one full week of flying so far. My second week they grounded all the planes so the maintenance personnel could get all the planes back into perfect condition. Airplanes used for primary flight instruction usually are not the best looking planes out there. They tend to get abused. The FAA started ramp checking us pretty hard so the Owner of the school decided to self ground the fleet and ask the FAA to come in and inspect the planes and tell him what they wanted him to do. We are in our second week of being grounded. While I am thankful to see the owner is being responsible, it really stinks not being able to work!
So far it has been a good experience. You learn real fast how to make rules for the students, you also learn to never take your eyes off them. Even though you are not actually flying the airplane you are watching everything and keeping yourself ready to take over.
I can tell already that this CFI thing is going to be a very interesting experience.

No comments: