Monday, January 10, 2011

Would You do it again?

I have been asked this question several times. Of course the question is in regards to making a career change to aviation.

Let me start with a little back ground. After High School I went into the U.S. Air Force. Did one tour with them and got out. On the civilian side I figured I would either go Equipment Operator (Bull dozer, cranes, backhoes etc) which is what the air force trained me to do, or I would get into transportation, which is what both my father and grandfather did. The first call I received was to drive for a corrugated paper company, also known as card board. So for the next 18 years I worked transportation. Pretty much every aspect of it. From Dock worker to driver to supervisor/dispatcher positions. I had two separate companies go out of business on me, one had 18,000 employees. The last one I worked for is the largest LTL carrier in the US. However, that company is also not doing very well, and I would be surprised if they are still around in 2012.

After seeing the writing on the wall and after being laid off I decided maybe it was time to make a change. My wonderful wife told me I should pursue flying, commercially. At that time people were being hired at the regionals with 300 hours TT. So I quit and decided to go back to training full time for my commercial, Multi engine commercial, and CFI, CFII, and MEI certificates. Fast forward a couple years and the aviation industry is still suffering from the economy collapse. Flight Instructing is still slow. Hiring is starting to show signs of recovery, but I'm still in a place I suspected I would be out of a year ago.

There have already been so many up's and down's since I made this change, but the question still remains. Would I do it Again? Yes. I'm still very excited to find out what awaits me. It still amazes me every time I take off and watch the ground slip away.

No comments: