Tuesday, March 4, 2008

Daunting challenges ahead!

A quote (the title) from Tom's comment on my last entry. Wow, if that isn't the perfect way to look at flight training. Well, once again I had to call my DPE and cancel with him. I arrived at the airport today, and met up with the cfi. We then checked out the plane went back to his office and he say's "well it looks like nice weather today, I think you should go fly!" Mind you I have a practical scheduled for tomorrow! Oh and dont forget I already had to cancel on him once before! I just looked at the guy, I didnt know what to say! Ok, if you dont think I'm ready, Do you think maybe you should have said something oh say 4 days ago which was the last time we flew??? Cancelling on the DPE at the last minute for the second time certianly is not going to make him happy with me! So, once again I'm at a crossroad. I'll have to figure out what to do. Finacially, and where to go next. Do I stick it out with this guy, or try to find another school. The sad thing is this is all to common. I have heard stories like this many times.
Well, I did end up going up today by myself. It was a beautiful day. There was some light chop, and a little gust on the surface, but not to bad! I tried to practice the manuevers, I dont know why but It is just hard to perform them by yourself...at least for me! It seems I can stay more focused with someone sitting next to me.
I bumped into the local CAP squadron commander. He was preflighting to go out and do some fire watch. Here in south texas it's not hard to find the fires, and there are a lot of them lately! Flat, dry and windy. We both took off about the same time and we were only a few minutes into flight and there were two fires out ahead of us. So he took off in the direction of the smoke, and I stayed in the "practice area" The local cap squdron just got a new cessna 182, G1000 equipped. What a set up. I flew a cessan 206 with the G1000 once and talk about nice. Huge moving map screen. traffic alerts, it was fun.
Well, so now I will need to take a couple days to think through my choices. I have two other options, unfortunatly both are out of town! We'll see!

1 comment:

LeAnne Hutchins said...

I have a great idea! Quit doubting and start doing! Tim, you are capable, smart enough, strong enough, everything enough. Do it! You're going to be so relieved and love it!