Sunday, March 9, 2008

Smooth air!

Wow, Saturday morning was so nice! I took a friend up for a "fun" flight. The air was cool, and sooo smooth! One of those flights that you just love and could stay up there forever. You know, The kinda feeling that makes us do crazy things like take flight lesson and want to do it (fly) for a living! It's also a lot of fun to take a non-pilot along. My friend was a load master on a C-130, so he knew a little (actually he knew a lot) about flying. It is a lot of fun to teach people things about flying. I think I would enjoy being a CFI (certified flight instructor).
BUT...first things first, I need to finish this commercial rating! Which has been a pain in the butt for me, and now I am at another cross road in my training.

I had a certain amount of funds set aside for the commercial, Well if you have followed this blog you know I have had a couple issues with trying to get my commercial license. So, now I have used up those funds and I still do not have that ticket in hand! So now what do I do? Finance it? Hmm get a loan for the rest of my training, something I really did not want to do! However I do not see to many other options! I found a place In North Carlina that offer a 4 day accelerated course that gets you BOTH your Multi engine commercial and your single engine commercial. Of course Its not cheap, but flight training is not cheap! I guess I'm the most concerned about going out of town again! The first attempt at that was not successful. It is not very fun feeling to get back on that plane without the item you flew half way across the country to get! The number one culprit what the weather, you just cannot control that!
I'm not giving up by any means, Just at that point of trying to decide once again what to do. Flying...You gotta love! My Father-in-law who is also a pilot has a great saying. "if you have time to spare, go by air" There is always something, some kind of delay, some kind of issue. So why do I do it you might be asking. I cannot tell you that, you would just have to experience it, then you would know. Did you know pilots are are only .2% of the total population of the U.S. Approx 570,000 pilots in the U.S.
It's a small crowd for sure, It's interesting to get a group of pilots together. Just a couple days ago I was with a group of pilots, From all walks of life. One was a General in the USAF (retired). We sat and talked pilot to pilot. Other then our age there was not a bit of difference in the two of us, or so it appeared.
Its an interesting endeavour, If you have not tried it yet and are curious GO take a flight somewhere and give it try!

No comments: