Thursday, April 22, 2010

First Solo!

I remember my first solo flight like it was yesterday. N89642, it was a white and green Cessna 152. Winds out of the south, landed runway 18 at FES. The instructor (Ken) told me to stop on the ramp, and he stepped out and said give me three take-off's and landings. I never thought twice. The first I touched down and was off by the first taxi way. Which wasn't bad it was only a 2200' runway and the first taxiway was less then 1000 feet down the runway. So I was Happy with myself. I was comfortable flying solo, I don't recall being very nervous.

However, now that I am a CFI, I think back and wonder if Ken was on the ground nervously waiting for me to finish my three trips around the pattern. Was he hoping I would not bend the airplane.

Even though I felt comfortable soloing, I find myself watching every step of the way when I send a student up to solo. Sunday I sent a new student Pilot Landon up for his first solo. I watched, I listened on a hand held radio. It's exciting and nerve racking at the same time. I hope his experience will be as memorable as mine...CONGRATULATIONS Landon! Well Done!

No comments: