Friday, May 29, 2009

MEI...Finally!



I was in Kansas City again last week. I had to go back and finish my MEI. Now I'm a Multi Engine Instructor!!! WOOHOO! It really was pretty uneventful. My Multi flying was a little rusty, and I felt like a beginner again (truth be told in twins I am a beginner) but it went well enough that the examiner felt I could teach others to fly twins. I was flying good ole N125RJ
I like the Twin Comanche, they are a fun plane to fly!
I like the airport (GPH) Midwest national (except for the name). It's in Mosby Missouri. I did manage to swing over to the St Louis side of Missouri and visit my parents for couple days.
I have to say that the guys at Career Pilot School are really good guys! I have been there three times now, I had some bumps in the road , but Michael who was the owner stands buy his word! He is smart enough of a man to know in this industry a good name is absolutely necessary! Aviation is to small a world, and word travels fast when you have a bad name. He is also a good instructor. The new owner of CPS was also good enough to honor the previous arrangement I had with Michael. I flew with Patrick who was able to get me done in three days! I took the exam with Ron Albertson, who is a great guy, with a load of experience. I like taking check rides with him, because I guarantee you will walk away having learned something!

So, Now I am all done CFI, CFII, and MEI. NOW WHAT? Thats the million dollar question right now. Every body is so slow, not even flight schools are hiring. Just a year ago they were begging for CFI's. What a difference a year makes. Its a catch 22, you have a commercial license (Multi and Single), you have all three CFI's, but you don't have enough hours to get a job (other than a cfi). So what do you do? Seriously any suggestions???? :-) The big picture is I'm not worried about it, My Faith in God makes me believe He is in control, and He will meet my needs!

I'm just really excited to be done with formal training for a while. I guess the next thing I will prepare for in the next 1000 hours is the ATP. I have a little time to prepare for that!

So lets look at where I was and where I am. 2007, decided to pursue flying as a career after 17 years in transportation. Working part time on IR, Feb of 2008 decided to go to school full time to finish and try to catch the last hiring wave. I finished up my CSEL CMEL, Cfi, Cfii in just a couple months, started working as a CFI, and to step away from flying for a while (but made my goal of being a commercial pilot by the time I was 40). It really Stinks to be in this slow time right now with no work, but I'm still very excited about my future! For those who might read this and are either in training, or would like to become a pilot. DO IT! There is a lot of negative talk out there right now, but it all boils down to this, If you want to fly, if that is your passion, just do it! Good luck!

No comments: