Wednesday, May 6, 2009

Planes, Trains and Automobiles

Where is your hand? between two pillows...THOSE AREN'T PILLOWS!!! John Candy and Steve martin. What A great movie! So why am I talking about Trains, Planes, and Automobiles? I had a guy who wanted me to drive to Alpine Texas with him, so I could fly his Mooney back to San Antonio. Sounds like a nice trip. I had never been to that part of west Texas.



So of we go in his vehicle on a 5.5 hr road trip. I had some second thoughts about going.


The plane had just come out of "annual". I have worked on and around airplanes long enough to know a fresh annual doesn't mean a thing. Well, When we arrived to the Hanger, I realized my reservation were well founded. The plane had obviously not been touched for a long time. You could tell by the solid coat of dirt over the entire plane, with not recent marks in the dirt. I wont bore you with the other details, but lets just say the plane was not airworthy! After some attempts in trouble shooting and fixing issues the owner decided it was best to park the plane and try again another day. So...now I'm 5.5 hours from home, in the middle of nowhere Texas and He was not going home for some time. What options do I have? Only one, a Train stops in alpine. Ok, so I have never been on a train...legally! After the arrangements were made I found out it was an 8 hour train ride. I'm still thinking it sounds like an interesting adventure. So there i was waiting at a train station in middleofnowhere Texas waiting for a train.



I was surprised to find the seat are comfortable.



Very wide, reclines nicely, and even have leg, and foot rest. I was one car behind the lounge car, which had big windows and seats that sat sideways.



Great for watching the scenery go buy.





The length of the trip was a bit long.




I did not get back into town until 1030pm. all in all it wasn't bad. It reminds me of why I like aviation...you just NEVER know what will happen next. You always have to be ready to make new plans!

No comments: