Tuesday, September 14, 2010

Exciting Times!

It's been a busy couple days. Yesterday I had two Instrument students go for there checkride. I knew they were ready,. but you know there is always that chance something could happen. I think it's almost as hard on your nerves as it would be if you were the one taking the checkride.

I was gone when the first one got back, and when I returned to the airport the second was already in the oral exam with the DPE. I asked Alejandro how he had done. He said ok, but made a couple mistakes. I asked if he passed, he said he didn't know. I asked did the examiner say you failed...he said no. OK, that's good they have to tell you if you fail, and they have to tell you the moment you fail a maneuver..

So, finally the DPE came out of the oral. I managed to pull him aside to find out how things were going. He said both were very strong in their oral and the first flew pretty well, but did make a couple mistakes, but not out side of PTS standards.

Finally the second flew. Arturo did a great job and even received a compliment from the examiner. So two passing checkrides in a day...what a great feeling!

So now day two of the week. I have a 15 year old private pilot student who wanted very badly to solo on his birthday. I told him we would do our best, but this is aviation and you cannot expect it. He is a great Student pilot, and I knew he would be capable if things worked out.
We missed a couple lesson last week due to the tropical storm, so I wasn't sure.
So finally the arrived...today...He shows up, I can see the anticipation in his face. The weather was ok, but not great, and then right when we got ready to take off the glider positions on the runway, and it was a glider checkride.
So now we have to compete with him and he has right of way. eventually the glider finishes and moved of the runway...we have 10 minutes left in out lesson. I ask if he is ready, he say he is. I have him stop at the FBO and out the door i go.
I walked over to where his mother was standing. I think I was more nervous then she was.
After just a couple minutes, there he goes. Now we're committed. he has to fly the pattern and land. He sounded great on the radio, his pattern looked great and his first landing was flawless! what a relief
He took one more hop around the patch and was done. what a 16th birthday. I'm sure he will sleep with a smile on his face tonight...

Congratulations to Arturo, Alejandro and David...you guys all did fantastic!

3 comments:

Rand Peck said...

Congratulations Tim. I remember well the anxiety of waiting for my students to pass their DC-9 or 727 simulator checks. Their success is a wonderful source of achievement for an instructor.

Rand

PropellerHead said...

Way cool for those pilots and congratulations to them all. Must have been a real buzz for you, too. I remember my first solo so well - it came as a complete surprise and I was with the club CFI (Chief FI that means here in NZ).
Bad storms here in NZ for the past week so no flying for me at present. The bridge I have to cross to get to the airport is closed and means a longer drive through the city to get there. Oh, well, Summer will be here soon!

Tim H said...

Rand, It's a privileged to know you still stop by and read my scribblings. Reading your blog was one of the influences I had to get me started here.

Prophead thanks for the note. I had a "penpal" from NZ for a while several years ago...before blogs actually. He and I were both Private pilots at the time. last I spoke with him he was learning to fly a twin grummen.
I hope you have good flying weather soon!