Friday, September 3, 2010

Time Fly's

It has been an interesting journey so far. Aviation has proven to be a cruel mistress, and I have just begun. I shouldn't say it's only been cruel, I love it. The days seem to run together a bit sometimes, but it has not been that horrible grind that my old "time punching" JOB was. I have not done so well with keeping the blog going. I find it has been difficult to keep up with all the things I must keep up with. Not only flying, but even making myself study to keep the knowledge fresh in my mind. It's amazing how fast you start forgetting things after you stop studying.

The flying has picked up. Thankfully this was summer has been busy. I have been working with two brothers from Mexico that have kept me busy. They both passed their Private pilot check-ride and now are only days away from taking their instrument check-ride. Next I will take them through Commercial and top it off with the multi add-on in the Cessna 310R.

I have also started working at another school in the San Antonio area. It to has been rewarding. I don't have as much business there but it is picking up.
One of my students there is 15 years old. David is a sharp young man, and is progressing nicely! His birthday is Sep 14. He is excited that he should be able to Solo on his birthday! I'm excited too! I just hope it all works out, aviation is hard to plan. It seems there is always something that forces you to change your plans.

This new school is one that I have been pushing for over two years to get on with. For two years I have heard we just don't have enough business, we need to make sure our current instructors have enough work. I agreed with this whole heartily! I could appreciate that. Most p[laces could care less about their cfi's they would bring on to many so their "students could be taken care of". Well, two year later I finally get the nod from the chief CFI. He said "we finally need another cfi". Finally! I was ready too. So I try to come in without pushing to hard, because they had a shortage of planes. Then out of nowhere two more CFI's pop up and just start pushing their way in. I have always tried to show respect to others. I try to respect their "seniority" excepting that I am the "new guy". I just never thought it showed much integrity to stand there like a leech and try to force you way in. Not paying attention to the rules and basically just doing what you want.

I realize sometimes to get a head you have to be aggressive, I just don't think it should be at ANY cost.
I do appreciate the new position, It is going to be a great new addition to my aviation Journey. I'm still excited to see where it takes me!

1 comment:

PropellerHead said...

Wishing you all the best in your flying career. We do have a bit in common: I also have a wonderful wife and three beautiful daughters, am a Christian and an aviation enthusiast (PPL with about 290 hours). Perhaps, if I had discovered hands-on flying a little earlier in life and not had such a rewarding career (medicine), I may have trodden a similar path to yours. Respect. Kia Kaha! ("Be strong" in Maori)