Tuesday, June 10, 2008

GEAR UP!!!!

What a day! I went for my spin training today with Tyler another CFI student. Just after he got back I loaded up, strapped on a parachute, and strapped into the Super Decathlon.


So after getting ready to go, engine started and requesting taxi from ground, I hear "gear up" coming from my CFI I am a bit puzzled until I look out the right window and there about 200 feet away is a Mooney 3ft off the deck with his gear up!
Man I just felt helpless, I wanted to do something but there was nothing to do! I watched as he bobbed the nose up and down a little "looking" for the runway and then he settled in, it was all over. He slid about 30 yards turned about 30deg to the left and stopped. We were not going anywhere! The airport was closed!

I had ever witnessed anything like that so close, it seemed like it was happening in slow motion.

So anyway, after lunch and a couple hours pass we are finally strapped back in and ready for departure! We head out, climb to 6000(agl) and start our spin training. WOW, I had never done a spin before. I was amazed how fast you roll over and next thing you know the earth is just a blur! If you are a pilot or a student pilot and have never done a spin, find a GOOD spin instructor and go do one. I don't think an average pilot could get out of one without having some spin training! I think your average pilot would get Killed if inadvertently getting into a spin!

After the spin training we did a few basic aerobatic maneuvers. It was fun. Some aileron rolls, a loop, inverted flight. It was very cool!
Well, I'm a little over a week into the CFI-A training and The check ride is scheduled for a week from today. So, I better get busy studying!

No comments: