Sunday, July 24, 2011

37,000 feet



Flight Level 370. You don't really think about it, UNTIL you're there. I guess my thoughts have been all over the board lately. Being at home, and the stress of training is finely starting to subside so I guess now my mind is starting digest what all has taken place.

My mother brought my baby book to me a few years ago. I was really amazed by one of the earliest things she had written. When I was a toddler, if I was outside and an airplane would fly over I would stop, look, and once spotted I would point at the airplane. I guess my whole life Ive had this infatuation with airplanes.

Later as a small boy I remember my dad telling me about these jet's that would takeoff from the McDonnell Douglas which was located at Lambert Field, St Louis International.
(You always knew you were in St Louis, especially at night when you would land and see this big red sign!)
He talked about how there were fighter jet's that would come roaring down the runway, and pull straight up. Or how there was an endless stream of airplanes coming and going. Each one had these super bright lights, and you would see these lights long before you could see the actual airplane. As a kid I would sit and try imagine what it was like.
Finally my dad said he was going to take us to the city, and we would go to see these airplanes. I was so excited. It was a day I still remember very well. Actually it was probably the day the airline bug bit me. I was just amazed at the activity. All these huge airplanes coming and going. Just like my father had told me, you would see these lights, and that's it. You wouldn't see the airplane for a long time. Back then Lambert field had an observation area. A parking lot just off the end of 12R and 12L. I would end spending a lot of time in that parking lot, Later once I could drive. I don't recall my Dad ever taking me there again. It's funny, I was taken in by these magnificent machines, yet I had never been on an airplane, neither had my parents. We didn't know anyone who flew them, I had no connection to aviation.
I really think that's why I never really dreamed I could be a pilot, or never pursued it as a kid. No One told me I could! I didn't think just a "regular" person could become an airline pilot.
I was 18 before I got on an airliner, a TWA 727. It was a flight to San Antonio Texas, on my way to basic training at Lackland Air Force Base.

Later on as I mentioned I would continue to go to KSTL and watch planes. Eventually I even got to take my girls and introduce them to it. One of my favorite memories is buying some Churches fried chicken, and mashed potatoes and going to the airport to eat dinner and watch airplanes. Only problem, we didn't get spoons, and the restaurant was 15-20 minutes away. What do you do? Well, you take the biscuit box, which is thick paper. tear it into strips, and use paper to eat your potatoes. Silly stuff i guess, but great memories non the less.


(Did you see the "pride of TWA" behind the L1011 taking off? St Louis was such a busy place. Hard to believe things have changed so much)

Watching all of those TWA airplanes also stirred up within me this admiration for the company. TWA had this special feeling to it. Even as a passenger, it wasn't like any other airline I have ever flown on. I don't even know how to describe it, it was like they were a living legend. To this day I still love and miss seeing those red and white planes.
I had started a collection of twa pictures years ago. I have original photographs of A Ford Tri-Motor, dc2, dc3, Boeing 307, The Connie, the Martin 404, 707, dc-9 L1011, and 747. I'm still missing an Original MD80, 727 757, and 767.
One other item, I have stored away for now is this poster.

It's in perfect condition. I will have it framed someday. Unfortunately its not standard size, so it will have to be professional framed. Which is expensive. But I want it done right! Because neither of those items depicted in this poster will ever live again, except in our memories. So It has to be done right.
Twa always did such a cool job with their travel posters.

Growing up in the midwest (just south of St Louis) It was amazing to see all the contrails that would crisscross the sky. I would always see these trails and wonder where they were going, and where they had been. One night I was sitting out side on a beautiful summer evening with a big full moon and this airliner passes over head, right across the moon leaving a contrail. It was probably one of the coolest things I had ever seen.
So now, all these year later I get the opportunity to fly for an airline. Its finally my tum to fly. My first flight is from Knoxville Tenn to Chicago Ohare. I was surprised really at how natural you feel, even transitioning to a Jet. It's still just flying an Airplane. Then all of a sudden you see this.



And your mind just goes WOW. I just flew a plane up to 36,000 feet. Then You see another airliner pass below you at FL350, and he is leaving a contrail, and again your mind goes WOW, that means I'M leaving a contrail. Then you wonder how many kids are on the ground looking up at your path in amazement.

Then the next thought you have after realizing your at FL360...How am I gonna get down. HaHa
Flight Level 370 Is our max. I would be there on another trip heading back east bound.
I think maybe It's all still a little surreal to me. I'm still new at it, not even done with training yet. I'm looking forward to this journey.