Sunday, July 31, 2011

Blogging at FL330

In case you don't know fl330 or "Flight level 330 is simply a way to say 33,000 feet. In the ATC world anything over 18,000 feet is in the Flight levels.


So here I am at FL 330 directly over DFW writing a blog post. Im on my way to Chicago. After another two week "vacation" the training center finally called and scheduled me for another IOE trip. This should be my last one. Then again, it has been nearly a month since I have last flown, I hope Im not to terribly rusty. It seems like we might have some bumpy weather ahead. Clouds above and climbing up to our altitude. Once cumulus clouds reach this altitude you know there is some pretty good instability in the atmosphere which for the people in the back means...bumps ahead.
; I only have a two day trip ahead. Day one included a Minnesota (said in my head in my best minnesotan accent, ok don't get mad at me for saying that, all all make fun of us texans too!). After the mn. Turn we head Memphis. We'll overnight in Memphis. Day two includes a return to ORD and then a Jacksonville Florida turn, then I hope to home in time for my wife's birthday!
The one thing Im finding out real quick, is that airline life has no concern whatsoever for your personal life!

Well it looks like our very experienced AA crew got us through the clouds without any turbulence. Good job guys!

Im not sure if Ive touched on or not but it was recently announced that AMR (our parent company) will divest or spin-off eagle. That actually disappoints me a little. I was actually quite proud to be a part of AMR. Im sure I will have a lot more to say about this in the future. One slightly positive thing came out of this. AA did agree to a flow agreement with Eagle. Basically every single pilot at AE right now has a Job at AA when the time comes that your seniority allows. I'm not real sure of the will do me much good. The idea of moving up to a 737 or some version of airbus does intrigue me.
>>
>> We'll I better get back to reviewing my aircraft manual. I need to re-learn things I have forgotten sitting at home.

1 comment:

Cedarglen said...

Thanks for the update. I hope that the LAST IOE experience goes well and that you then get some serious flying hours. Keep it safe, have a little fun and keep your readers posted. Regards,
-Craig