Friday, February 15, 2008

Just 5 more minutes!!!

October 3rd, 2007
Have you had that feeling of not wanting to stop doing something? I had another IR flight lesson this morning, it was a beautiful morning! Smooth air, cool temps, the kind of morning that just makes you want to stay up there forever!!! So, how did the lesson go? It wasn’t to bad! I have 4 more training days until the practical. I was not happy again with my altitude holds. I did an ILS into KSAT which was pretty good, I was pleased with it. From there we went missed, which I believe we would have had to even if I had not wanted to, as the tower controller cleared a guy for takeoff on my runway while I was on very short final. So a quick turn to HDG 150 and climb away from the situation. From there it was on to KSSF for a hold at the stinson vopr and then a vor 32 approach into stinson. The hold went ok, I found i was having trouble with times, It did not help that is suddenly got real busy and the app controller started his rapid fire talking. Then what appeared to be a ppl student came along and was having real bad trouble with his radio work! I felt bad for the guy, but it’s just one of those things you have to learn. I could tell the controller was getting frustrated with him but stuck with him and got him through!
The first vor approach was bad, 332 inbound to the vor and then 337 after station passage. The same bad radio guy was still blocking up the airwaves, so it came time to report inbound and i could not get a word in, finally reported and switched to ssf tower who told me to go missed 1 mile south do to traffic (yep, MR bad radio guy.) Well, after all the confusion I realized I forgot to start my timer, and after a really bad approach we decided to set up for another. The second went much better. Still had some confusion with the tower controller, but I wanted to circle to land as published to make myself hold my altitudes and i did much better this time! Finally its time to head for home, go missed turn to 090 and call San Antonio approach. It was a nice ride back, we settled in just on top of a small scattered layer of clouds and just enjoyed the ride. Like i said it was smooth, and i wanted to keep on flying. Once we got out the class charlie airspace I decided to do a little airwork, again some descents to altitudes so i could practice holding them. Got back to the field and decided to try the dead engine 180 to land. Since the commercial is next and that is a required maneuver, might as well start practicing…besides they are fun. Its a challenge to make the plane do what you want. So abeam the numbers cfi chops the power and says hit the 1000 ‘ mark on or within 100 ft  after.no biggie, set up a glide, find your spot and fly the plane. I passed my spot by about 75′…close enough to pass, but not on it, I wanted on it…but hey it was a first time! So now its on to the sim and refly it all, and prepare for tomorrow. Another lesson in the am, just hope its as nice as it was today!

No comments: